Skip to main content

Making Your Tax Refund Last!

Greetings and money blessings to you my friends! Oh how quickly time flies.  Tax season has approached us yet again.  For those of us who pay taxes annually, it's a somber time and also a procrastination to stretch the dreadful filing out to April 15th. However, for those of us who receive refunds from our Federal government and state agencies it is a wonderful and stimulating time 😉😉😉.  I have a few tips to make that money stretch possibly until the following tax season.

Choose a 'Don't Touch Me Amount'

Have a pre-determined amount in your mind that you will set aside upon immediate receipt of your refund.  This could be a start to your savings account or an addition.  My recommended amount would be 50% of your refund or more. That sounds like a lot, however this is additional income.  If you have been able to survive without it the last 11 months, then you will be able to survive with out it again!

Budget the Remaining Money

Let's say your total refund is $6,000.  You graciously set aside $3,000 in a savings or money market account and you now have $3,000 available to use at your disposal.  Budget this money wisely.  Pay one month's rent or an additional principle payment on your mortgage, pay down some debt, or pay some utilities in advance.  This will give you a healthy financial start and free up some earned income for at least 30 days.

Have some fun!

After you have handled your refund responsibly, budget some money in there for something fun.  Fun to you could be shopping, vacation, dining out etc.  I have known and seen it with my own 2 eyes people using what seemed to be their entire refund on fun!  Every night eating out at 5 star restaurants , lavish vacations, red bottom shoes, or retro Jordan's and brand new bags all being bragged about on social media to people who, quite frankly, don't give a shit.  The truth is that we are all caught up in our very own world's.  We may like a picture or comment, but soon after we have forgotten all about you. So have some fun, but be smart about it!

Make It Count Finance INC is pleased to service your income tax needs at standard flat rates (unlike the big guys who charge you fee's based upon your refund amount). Contact us to make an appointment today!

614-598-2224
1729 Brice Rd.
Reynoldsburg, Oh 43068
makeitcountbks@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PART 1 OF MY STORY Turning Tragedy to Victory--How I saved $10,000 in 10 months

This past year and a half has completely turned my life upside down.  I am now ready to share my story in hopes that I can be an inspiration. Life is full of ups and downs.  But we always have a choice.  I am bringing my story in 3 parts. This is part one: It was May 10th 2016.  I had a dream the previous night. One of those lucid dreams that felt so real it stayed with me throughout the day.  The dream was that my husband set me up.  He shot me 5 times and instead of getting to the hospital, I was trying to get to the courthouse to file a divorce.  Those words divorce kept ringing louder and louder in the dream.  I woke up that morning and everything was normal.  I got dressed, kissed my husband and 9 month old daughter, dropped my 7 year old off at school then went on in to work.  I was self employed running by business full time.  Life was good. That evening, I came home and relieved my husband from daddy duty. He didn't work...

Filed unemployment on your tax return? IRS is recalculating the amount you owe, and you MAY receive another refund check!

  Normally, any unemployment compensation someone receives is taxable. However, a recent law change allows some recipients to not pay tax on some 2020 unemployment compensation. The IRS will automatically refund money to eligible people who filed their tax return reporting unemployment compensation before the recent changes made by the American Rescue Plan. These refunds are expected to begin in May and continue into the summer. Under the new law, taxpayers who earned less than $150,000 in modified adjusted gross income can exclude some unemployment compensation from their income. This means they don’t have to pay tax on some of it. People who are married filing jointly can exclude up to $20,400 – up to $10,200 for each spouse who received unemployment compensation. All other eligible taxpayers can exclude up to $10,200 from their income. Information for people who already filed their 2020 tax return This law change occurred after some people filed their 2020 taxes. For taxpayers w...

PART 2 Turning Tragedy to Victory--How I saved $10,000 in 10 months

Once the smoke cleared, one of the very first things I had to do was take accountability.  Although I had not done a huge portion of the things I was charged with, I did have to take responsibility for whatever role I played: knowingly or unknowingly. Life was a whirlwind adjusting to life as a single parent.  I had to move fast enrolling the kids in daycare so that I could continue to work. I had to be mom and dad during the week.  My husband made bond and would have the kids on the weekend.  Which was a huge relief for me. One Saturday in June 2016 while the kids were with their dad,  I sat down in bed and wrote ‘$10,000 by July 24th” (no year) on an orange sticky note and posted it on my wall. I saw it every time I woke up and every time I went to sleep. This sticky note was now my accountability partner.  I couldn't let it, or myself down :). BTW, I’m here to tell you that $10,000 is not a lot of money. But to me, it was. I had $48.00 in the bank a...